Saturday, November 24, 2018

Slow going...

Ok so starting to attach the clouds, tree and leaves hasn't gone entirely to plan.  I went to the local quilt shop to get some fabric glue (can't think what brand, but the one that 'everyone' seems to use) and no luck.  But the lady did sell me a spray on adhesive that is apparently permanent and that she personally uses all the time and finds great.  Well I'm not sure how exactly she is using it.  But its awful!

I sprayed all my clouds and stuck them down, the tree I used an appliqué glue stick... and then carried on with the spray for the leaves.  All seemed to stick ok.  So I left it a couple of days to make sure it was all set and dry.  And then started machine stitching around the edges.  Thats when it happened.  Bits started lifting and in some cases full on falling off.  Grrr.  Of course not all the bits came off, most of them just lifted in weird and unusual ways.  And left a sticky residue on the backing fabric.  So I couldn't even start again. Double Grrr.

So anyway... I had no choice but to re-pin it and just go for it.  After a lot of swearing and the usual amount of blood sacrifices the tree, clouds and leaves are stuck down.  Phew!

I have already glued most of the windows to the houses as well.  But I'm hoping at they're considerably smaller I won't need to scrunch the fabric so much while stitching them down so fingers crossed they'll stay stuck enough to get that done.

I've got no choice but to carry on with the two adhesives I have because I can't get anything else locally.  But as I said I'll work on the windows and doors next.  And then when it comes time to attach the houses, I'll glue one and then sew it really quickly before it comes off.

Lesson learnt - should've gone with Steam2Seam 😆


I did a bit of embroidery yesterday as well.  Hubby and I were big X Files fans back in the day.  And I came across a wee UFO embroidery on Pinterest the other day and ages back I bought some glow in the dark thread so thought it was the perfect piece to try it out on.  After my last foray into drawing my pattern onto black fabric (that didn't wash out, I'm still not over that).  This time I traced my pattern onto baking paper and then stitched (tacking stitch) through the paper and the fabric to transfer the design.  Didn't work quite as I had expected in that it was a pain to remove the paper.  But it did the trick.  Only took a couple of hours.  It's not going to change my life, but it was still a bit of fun and I'm sure I can find a spot for it somewhere.  And yes its still covered in the dogs contribution 🐶


That's it for now.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of you the other day and wondered how you are doing. Gosh I hate when I try a new technique that doesn't work out. Guess those times are lessons learned. Your piece is looking good.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete