Saturday, December 28, 2019

Two new buttons

With no stitching at all done in recent months and with some time off over the holidays I tried to get back into my house quilt the other day (after shaking off the layer of dust on it, slight exaggeration but nearly!!) I did another window.  Gosh how I wish I could time travel back X months and tell myself not to do the windows with raised stem stitch.  Five hours for a single window is nuts.  Hubby keeps encouraging me on this quilt, but I just don't feel the love for it which I don't think is helping my motivation.  But I still have a rather large space on the wall waiting for something amazing to fill it, I just don't think this quilt is it.  Sigh.  

Anyway, I sat yesterday and in a fit of trying to kick start my sewing mojo (or was it just procrastination??) I did another couple of buttons.  Square (ish) ones this time.  I love the look of pieces where someone has just sat down and let their fingers just stitch and somehow the result is something beautiful.  Random stitches, beads, buttons, lace etc.  When I've tried this myself I usually just end up with a piece of fabric with some random stuff stuck/stitched on it, no beauty in sight.

But I'm trying.  I'm trying to step from my comfort zone and I guess, while it seems contrary to the outcome, maybe it takes practice to create beauty from random stitches?!

I love the look of Boro embroidery, or any embroidery that is for the most part running stitches.  So this wee guy was just about creating something with running stitches mostly.  I quite like how it turned out. 



I don't have a very big stash of fabric.  But I came across some pictures of fabrics woven together to make a bigger piece.  So I gave that a go.  I somehow still managed to create stripes of the two fabrics I used, oh well note to self at least 3 fabrics next time and mix it up a bit.  I got some beads on there, randomly 'sprinkled' which is definitely not within my comfort zone (beads are scary).  And while its no beauty, it is woven and it is random.  So its a success!


 Better yet I feel like I want to stitch more.  So maybe they've helped my mojo along a bit after all.

Thanks for stopping by. 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment