Saturday, July 1, 2017

TAST - Wrapped Coral

So this weeks stitch is Wrapped Coral.  Sometimes I look at the stitch for the week and I know exactly how to chicken-ify it.  And sometimes theres nothing.  This week is one of those, although I thought maybe an edging to a dress?  Sometimes once I start practicing the stitch another idea will appear.  But once I re-read the tutorial Sharon had suggested doing each stitch closely together so I squished them up a bit further and it gave quite a solid braided look.  So thats what I'm going with.  You'll have to wait and see the chicken-ifying, I'm not sure its going to work, but time will tell .😀

If you want to view the tutorial over at Pintangle the link is here.  Here's a photo of the stitch from Sharon's site.


Encrusted Calico

Lots of filling in mostly over the last few days.  I've added in two new stitches, some cast on stitch up the top amongst the French knots.  And I've covered one of the lower bumps with satin stitch.  

I also had a dig through my drawer where I keep all those spare buttons that you get with new clothes and found some nice bronze looking metal buttons that I think I'll incorporate, I've added one already and I'm liking it.  I have no idea what clothes the buttons have come from.  I found about 5 similar looking ones but all slightly different so they're obviously all from different items of clothing and not one of them looks familiar.  Goodness knows how long they must've been in the drawer!



Learning Number 7:
Make sure to draw your edge on the top fabric - It mind sound obvious but I drew mine on the back fabric when I was playing with the bumpy bits and bobs deciding where they'd go.  But it never occurred to me to then at least put a few marks on the top fabric as an approximate edge. I'm not going back to fix it though and it did help me decide that the piece won't have a 'hard' edge which if I'd gone with my original edge it would've had. 

Learning Number 4 (again)
Yep I didn't learn this one obviously.  I had a bit of a disaster and caught one of the woven wheels with my needle and it wasn't fixable this time.  After saying some colourful words that aren't suitable for polite society I tried to wriggle the threads to pull the catch back in but was totally unsuccessful.  So I pulled the whole thing out instead.  I was a bit unsure about it to start with to be honest.  I'd done a buttonhole type edging to start with and then done the woven wheel over the top and I just wasn't 100% happy with the way it looked, the two stitches were obviously still two stitches, rather than easing into each other as I'd hoped.  (Maybe more spokes would've helped with that?). I was hoping I'd like better once I started filling in around it.  Oh well the decision was made for me.  I'm much happier with the replacement needlelace filling. 



1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm sure you'll put the chicken spin on this week's TAST. I like to SEE encrusted, but I actually have no desire to STITCH encrusted. I always like to see your stitching.
    CArol

    ReplyDelete