Saturday, July 8, 2017

Chicken Little Number 89 - Italian Border

Ok so in order to catch up to 89 stitches for the current round of TAST I've done an extra stitch this week - Italian Border.  Still from the list at Pintangle but not in the current TAST list.  Sharons tutorial is here.

I'm really pleased with how this wee guy came out.  Italian border is a variation of Fly Stitch and when I was wondering what to do with it and scrolling through all my chicken images, I wondered whether it'd work one of top of the other and well I reckon it works pretty well as a grass skirt!


TAST - Woven Trellis

This weeks TAST stitch is Woven Trellis, the tutorial is found here.  I've have a plan for it, but haven't started it yet.  Yes I know I better get moving, but I still have a couple of days to get it done.
Here's a pic of the stitch from Pintangle.



Encrusted Calico

Miss P has been sick this week which isn't good but it has allowed me some extra sewing time.  So I've made some good progress with this.  I was a bit worried about the rather big lump of rubber (bottom right) and what I was going to do with that, but after doing some Picots further up, I figured there wasn't any reason why I couldn't use those to cover something.  I'm sure there is a proper name for it, but I don't know what it is. 😊

You know how when you have these 'great' ideas and you launch forth and find that while they look OK they don't fit quite right, or one is way thinner/longer/wonkier than the others?  Well that didn't happen.  They fitted just right, they're all of a pretty even size, I didn't catch one with my needle or anything!  I thought I'd just run a darker colour either side of each woven bit up to the centre just to break the large expanse of the same colour and that looked great too.  Topped it off with a few French knots to fill in the centre in the same darker colour and voila!  I'm so pleased with it.  I'll try and get a closer picture when its daylight.


Weirdly while the TAST stitch this week is Woven Trellis, from a completely different website I came across Spiral Trellis stitch.  The two stitches, don't really bear a lot of resemblance to each other, but once I get another one or two done as practice I'm going to use that for the last of the 3 same shaped 'bumps' on the left there. (just by my thumb).

Anyway I'm rambling, thanks for visiting 😁

6 comments:

  1. I think the encrusted work is pretty cool, though I love to look, I have no desire to commence. But I do wonder where you found your chicken motifs to enhance? Did you draw your own?
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use clipart off the internet and adjust/tweak to fit. I hate to think how many hours I've spent looking at chicken clipart haha. There are currently 1,441 images saved in my 'chicken' folder which is crazy for a start. But you wouldn't believe how often I still have to go off googling for another one when I have something particular in mind and just don't seem to have a chicken that fits :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that information. I didn't think of clip art. I want to stitch a frog quilt and have been having a difficult time finding pictures that appropriate to embroider. I love your skill of adapting a stitch to a pic.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute chicken. And I like the encrusted piece, reminds me of the encrusted pebbles I made years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annet - Yes encrusted pebbles... thats what started this whole thing. There are references to them all over the net and they all lead back to stitching fingers which is no longer a valid site! You don't have any more info about them do you?? Would love to find out more about how you guys made them etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn’t find the original info on my computer right now. But I wrote about my progress on my blog (http://fat-quarter.blogspot.nl/search/label/pebble%20adventure), maybe it will help you.

    ReplyDelete