Monday, October 23, 2017

Oh bother!

I haven't done any stitching for days and days.  Why?  Because I can't make up my mind what my new project should be.  While I love Pinterest, I am sure at times, its not healthy for any 'creative' person.  There are too many beautiful things to look at, too many various techniques to try.  And I don't know about anyone else but I find I just end up giddy with all the options.  (head shake).  So this last week I have been looking, looking, looking but not stitching.  

I've picked half a dozen things and thought yes I'll do that.  
  • Boro - I love the look of Boro but my stash is pretty limited and I just couldn't 'see' the fabric combination.
  • Embroidery collage - I love the look of those lace-y, ribbon-y, collages of embroidery.  But I'm not a ribbon-y lace-y person and not feeling confident enough to make a start.
  • A Cat - I found a drawing of a cat, similar style to Mr Bear.  But I just did that.
  • Stitch & Slash - where you sandwich lots of diff fabric between two pieces and then cut through varying layers to reveal the inner.  Again limited stash put paid to that for the minute.
  • Sharpie 'painting' - Miss P and I had some fun with sharpie and isopropyl alcohol a week or so ago.  Didn't come out anything like the tutorial.  But I do have some colourful fabric that I could use for appliqué maybe or the stitch/slash.  But just not feeling it.
  • Stumpwork beetles - I love those framed embroidered bug collections.  But again just not feeling it.
I think my mojo is just off.  Any of those things could be fun. 

I love the idea of samplers, so I've spent some time today trying to come up with a plan for a stitch sampler than I can turn into a fabric book.   Trying to find something that takes my fancy is proving difficult, then I remembered I already started a sampler.  Yes!    

Mid last year I realised that my chickens were never going to make it onto a wall and decided I wanted to make a sampler that I could (maybe) put in a frame.  I wanted to use small cliparts I found on the internet, all the ones I'd found while looking for chickens. 😀    But I came to a grinding halt when I found I had a pile of 'line' style stitches that I couldn't figure out how to incorporate into wee clipart type images.  Now thats perfect, something to stitch while I figure out what to do next.  Something I can pick up and put down in between projects.  Yes!

So I dragged it out today tried to photograph it as it was, didn't work - too many wrinkles from being stuffed in the drawer for a year.  So I ironed it of course.  Now I have the sinking suspicion I've just ruined it.  Its still got all the washable pen on it which I've in effect just heat set.  (insert all sorts of rude words here).    Sigh.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to give just the top bit of it a wash and see if the pen comes out.  (I still need a lot of the lower pen marks for guides for text etc).  So now I'm sitting here wanting to stitch and I still have nothing to do.  Grumble grumble.

I've put the dreaded photo below.  Each square is about 1 1/2 inch square if you're wondering.  

If anyone has seen my mojo, feel free to kick its butt and send it home.  Thanks!

Until then, I'm going to dig out all my tea and coffee dyed swatches and just whack them together and see if anything comes out of that.   Maybe I'm just over thinking it all and just need to get stuck in.  Worst case scenario I'll learn something right?

Thanks for stopping by. 😀


1 comment:

  1. See, I have those issues about what to do next. My last blog post talked about starting a Boro Stitching project, but like you, my fabric stash is Boro swatch poor. So, I'm just going to do Boro with the novelty fabrics I love. Isn't that what stitching is all about. You personalized TAST better than anyone I have seen. That's what I'll do for my Boro project.

    I go in Pinterest spurts. I spend some time then ignore it for a long time.
    Thanks for blogging.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete