Wednesday, July 26, 2017

TAST - Crested Chain Stitch


Hmm...not sure what to do with this weeks stitch - Crested Chain.  It looks quite similar to Bonnet Stitch, of which I was not a fan.  If its like bonnet stitch it's going to look best with a thicker thread and probably good tension.  And I use 2 strands of DMC floss and have terrible tension.  Oh well, I'll just have to find a great chicken picture to detract from the stitch itself haha.

The tutorial on Pintangle is here if you want to have a go.


The Tree

I've made a start on the tree.  Its started off not too bad.  I can see now why Elza sometimes uses regular sewing machine thread, even 1 strand of DMC thread is quite thick for the wee branches.  While I aim to one day be able to needlepaint like Elza and Trish Burr and other amazing artists like them, I don't think the smoothness of their technique would work for the leaves of this tree (thankfully) so while technically I've used the same technique I've tried to keep some texture in the stitches to replicate the leaves.

For the bark/thicker branches I'm using my tried and true favourite split stitch and for the smaller branches good old back stitch.  I quite like the look of the split stitch for the bark, it works.  But as I said the single strand of DMC does seem a bit thick for the smaller back stitch.

For the next project Tip #1 - Try out some sewing machine thread compared to a single strand of DMC.  Ahead of time of course so you can colour match.

The biggest hurdle I think for this project will be the shading.  I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination so shading is a completely foreign concept.  I've again picked a spread of colours with DMC doing the work for me.  So I'll just be doing my best using those for the shading and hoping the end result works.  It's all about learning new things so we'll just see where we end up.  And if nothing else I imagine its practice, practice, practice.

Oh! as for the printable fabric.  I'm quite impressed with the print quality.  Although its definitely noisier to stitch than regular calico.  You can definitely hear the thread going through the fabric.  Not sure if thats the ink or just the fabric itself.  I can't feel any difference between the printed area and the non printed, so I guess it must be the fabric.  Must remember to have a wee stitch on the outer edge and have a listen.  (not that its weird to be listening to your stitching at all, yeah right!)

Right I'll leave it there, get Miss P into bed and get sewing!







No comments:

Post a Comment